Wednesday, May 25, 2005

How cool is this?

I was so worried about my mom being disappointed in our moving to Nome. This is an email she sent me after I told her.

Hi Matt,
I'm happy that you found another job so quickly. With your skills I knew it wouldn't take you long to find one. Alaska will be an adventure. For some reason these things happen for you to learn something from them. You will one day know what this reason is. As for now.....

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain.

How exciting for you and your family. I'm excited because I can now plan a trip to go to Alaska as I've always wanted to see it. You will be very happy there. I just know it.
I am amazed with Amy too. To just up and move with two little girls like that. I give her a lot of credit and praise for doing this with you. I'm sure you all will be very happy in Alaska.
Write to me soon. Love, Mom


Is that cool or what? My mom sees the adventure aspect, the new world view. Looking back now, I don't see why I was apprehensive about telling her. She has always expanded my world horizons. I have been to England at least half a dozen times while growing up (and now as I'm older, I really should keep that up but at least I grew up with it). We went to the European mainland once and saw all sorts of stuff and new culture. We've been to California, Florida, Tijuana.

I am expanding the horizons of everyone because this world is a large place. Remaining stagnant is not an option. This is a phenomenal opportunity and an experience just awaiting.

No comments: